What is the Extended Project?
This is a free-standing qualification that encourages students to explore an area of interest which will either complement their Years 12/13 courses, or be something totally different. After a supervised period of research and reflection, where the students will be taught such skills as academic research, report writing, cross referencing and report writing, the final outcome will take the form of a report, dissertation, artefact or performance.
This qualification will involve extended independent work by the students who opt for this, and it is therefore being viewed upon very favourably by universities. To support each student in the planning, research and production of the project, an Extended Project mentor will be assigned and a regular, weekly appointment will be timetabled.
The mentor will coach the student in the following areas:
- Choose an area of interest
- Draft a project title
- Draft aims of the project
- Plan, research and carry out the project
- Provide evidence of all stages of project production
- Deliver a presentation to a specified audience.
Students will therefore:
- Identify, design, plan and complete an individual project, applying organisational skills and strategies to meet their stated objectives
- Obtain and select information from a range of sources, analyse data, apply relevantly and demonstrate understanding of any appropriate linkages, connections and complexities of the topic
- Select and use a range of skills, including new technologies where appropriate, to solve problems, to take decisions critically, creatively and flexibly, and to achieve planned outcomes
- Evaluate outcomes including own learning and performance and select and use a range of communication skills and media to convey and present evidenced outcomes and conclusions.
Many students have been able to use their Extended Project artefact or report as part of a University/Job interview to demonstrate knowledge gained outside of the curriculum.
For further information please contact Mr J Mallaby.